FAO Wookie

Having software/hardware problems? Get help here!

FAO Wookie

Postby [Aliens]kronenbourg » Sun May 01, 2011 3:31 pm

Hi Wookie

Okay, I have a two-fold question to ask, if I may.

Firstly, I've been having some problems some problems with my computer heating up a bit whilst playing games.

Spoke to Witty, and he says that the heat is normal, but when my mate was round this Friday, he asked if my power supply was big enough.

The graphics card says a minimum of 500W, but mine is a 550W. Is this too slow?

If so, do you know of a good power supply to get? I currently have a Corsair VX550.

--

Second question.

You mentioned a week or so ago about building me a computer. If I kept this graphics card, how much is the build going to cost, roughly?

Also, could I have the drive partioned with XP/Windows 7? I have a Windows XP disk, so if its needed, I could come across with it.

Just trying to get some money costs sorted out, so I can start to save towards it 8)

Kro

[Aliens]kronenbourg
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: FAO Wookie

Postby [Aliens]solifer » Mon May 02, 2011 7:03 am

What sort of power supply do you have, is it a good quality or a cheaper one?
What sort of graphic card do you have?
Cant see that only only one graphic card really needs that much of power if it is a single card, my sons pc runs a dual core 1 harddrive and a dvd and a ati 4870 card and i did run it on a 350 watts powersupply with a good quality, i also have measured my rig quad inte oc a bit and a ati 6950 oc to 6970, 4 hd's 2 dvd, 4 fans and that on my corsair vx550 , i also measured it with a watt meter and i am never over 400watts.
Im not saying your problem is this or not, but power supply usuallt runs alot of stuff even if requirements say otherwise.
2 graphic card installed or a dual gpu card will ofcourse need more juice.

EDIT saw you have same power as me and its a good quality on that can run 2 graphic card as long as its not the worst, guess it can tun 2 ati 6975/6950.
Camaro - If you don´t own one, you´ll never understand!
<<-Bönder är liksom en egen ras, precis som rörmokare och föräldrar->>
[Aliens]solifer
General
General

Postby [Aliens]WITTY » Mon May 02, 2011 10:19 am

I didnt say it was normal, what i said was that under load all hardware gets hotter. You need to find out which component is giving off the heat and then work from there. Are any of your processors(cpu gpu) overclocked? To give off enough heat to be able to notice it signifcantly, i would say it is either one of the above or your ram thats getting warm. Have you checked that all your fans are running? If you havnt cleaned the dust from your pc for a while this can greatly affect the performance of fans and heatsinks.
[Aliens]WITTY
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby [Aliens]solifer » Mon May 02, 2011 11:35 am

As witty say be sure it is cleaned from dust and by that i mean on all coolings check that its clean from dust because if it is full with it no fan in the world can manage to cool it when air cant run trough it.
Also check if all fans work, if you still have problem open the case to be sure fresh air can get inside if it gets better with open case you need to either add more fans or readjust those you have for maximum ventilation.
If you still have problems and it gets to hot?? if so try to set all to default clock speed and then try if same problems occur if it does maybe you need to clock it less or nothing at all!
Camaro - If you don´t own one, you´ll never understand!
<<-Bönder är liksom en egen ras, precis som rörmokare och föräldrar->>
[Aliens]solifer
General
General

Postby WOOKIE1974 » Mon May 02, 2011 8:53 pm

right first of all what sort of graphics card you running cos if you've gota high end graphics card running on a 550w power supply that aint got a dedicated (or more) 12v rail for your pci-express connections its gonna be sucking the life out your psu. secondly if its getting hot it maybe the fact that your cpu paste is running dry or it might just be crap paste originally used, get yourself some acrtic cooling mx-4 it lasts about 8 years if applied properly. just let me know what sort of money you want to spend and ill see what i can work out and ill sort you a win7 64bit ultimate too.

oh and check the airflow through your pc the more fans you have sucking in cold air and some at the back blowing the warm air from the cpu etc the better

WOOKIE1974
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Postby [Aliens]kronenbourg » Wed May 04, 2011 9:21 pm

I'll start with cleaning the fans etc, but I'll have to get a can of compressed air from somewhere first.

Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 6800 series

Power Supply: Corsair VX550

The CPU has Artic MX-2 on it, when I installed it a while back, when Bjorn gave me his dual core AMD Opteron 1.81 Ghz.

2.00Gig RAM

As far as I know, its not overclocked, as I have no idea on how to clock in the first place, so its 'as is'

[Aliens]kronenbourg
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby WOOKIE1974 » Thu May 05, 2011 8:07 am

theres one or 2 things you can get to help with the cooling, first of all the opterons run quite hot as theyre actually server processors, but you can over clock the hell out of em with the right cooling and settings. I had the 2ghz duel core 170 for about 5 years with various coolers etc but the best air cooler i found was the asus silent square pro, but there are plenty of liquid cooling systems nowadays for about £45 which are all in one and basically just run themselves with no need to top up or have pipes and pumps etc all over the place (to save space).

1) decent cpu cooler

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsair- ... 2-am2plus- or if youre after an air cooler

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/arctic-c ... -130-watts these are the fan coolers scan use in their 3xs gaming rigs

2) get some ram coolers they work wonders ive got the ocz ones but corsair do some good ones nowadays

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsair- ... the-memory)

3) a good case never goes a miss, plenty of space inside as well as plenty of fans (bays) especially if space is limited where your pc is like everyone has said airflow is essential, you want the front, top, sides sucking in cold air and the back fans blowing out as much warm air as possible. most older chipsets (i.e. north/southbridges dont have fans on em just heatsinks which doesn't dissipate the heat very well at all so you need to get the colder air to them as much as possible)

4) also check the thermal paste on the north/south chipsets too they only use crappy stuff at manufacture on these chips and it dries up after time

5) and the best thing to use if you cant get compressed air (and you can ask witty on this one lol) is a womans blusher brush for cleaning your pc out cos the dust sticks to em like shit to a blanket and theyre soft enough to get right inside the fans without damaging them or your pc.

or you could just sell a kidney & upgrade ya cheap bastard :P lmao only jokin

oh ps check the ati overdrive settings in the catalyst control panel i noticed it the other day my fan on my graphics card is was set to 50% running speed move it upto around 65% and watch the core temp drop by about 15 degrees C.

WOOKIE1974
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Postby [Aliens]kronenbourg » Thu May 05, 2011 8:00 pm

Thanks Wookie 8)

For the CPU cooler, I'll have to measure it, as I actually have a small case (tower) and its a little cramped in there.

I also have the side panel off, as the heat was getting a bit hot, and you could feel it on the outside of the case.

For the RAM cooler, will this fit any type of RAM? I think I have two types in there, one the old normal type that Crucial sells, and the second is the covered type.

The fans on the case: Only one at the back, and the CPU fan has adjustable speeds (I put it to full when gaming), the chipset has a fan on it but its the type of motherboard that I mentioned on TeamSpeak (Asus).

I think the thermal on the chipset is the newer stuff, as it died a few years ago, and I had to order a new one from China.

The heat is just recent: think it started with the card, or maybe the cpu, I'm not sure.

Will have a look at the catalyst control panel tonight

[Aliens]kronenbourg
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby [Aliens]kronenbourg » Thu May 05, 2011 8:09 pm

On a side note, been having some problems with Windows giving error's etc.

So, will have a look at that as well, and it might be a new harddrive as well.

[Aliens]kronenbourg
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby [Aliens]kronenbourg » Thu May 05, 2011 8:16 pm

Okay, this is the settings:

High performance GPU Clock settings - 790Mhz
High performance Memory clock settings - 1000Mhz

Thing is, this isn't ticked:

Enable Manual Fan Control - 50%

But, I can turn the dial at the back, to speed it up.

Temperature - 50°C
Activity - 0%
Fan Speed - 25% (but I can change that to 100 when gaming)

[Aliens]kronenbourg
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby WOOKIE1974 » Thu May 05, 2011 9:22 pm

k tick the enable manual fan control on your graphics card and turn it up, the 6900 series aint a small card and if youve only got one fan and a cpu fan then thats one of the problems cos you've got no cold air intake, the ram coolers clip onto the white ram clips on the motherboard not the ram itself, so it doesnt matter what type you have unless they have those rediculously big fins like the corsair dominator ram.

i would suggest a bigger case if you already have a decent power supply one with plenty of space and fans, and preferably a cable management system where you can feed the wires through the back of the case and allow less air restriction like this one.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/sharkoon ... management

and xp has been coming up with alot of errors lately due to the fact microsoft are a bunch of useless bastards (bit like E.A games lol) when it comes to older products.

oh if its an asus 939 board you've got the chipset fans are shite, easy thing i have found to cure that problem was to buy a http://www.scan.co.uk/products/akasa-ak ... h-blue-led. you take the screws out of the top of the asus metal case fan on the chipset & unscrew the small crappy black fan on the inside, then you superglue the base of the new fan to the inside base of the asus heatsink fan case, leave the screws out of the asus cover and superglue the 4 corners to the screw fittings on the fan housing of the new fan, the akasa fans spin alot faster and provide better cooling than the standard asus ones, and they dont impede the fitting of your graphics cards as theyre only 5mm high.

WOOKIE1974
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Postby [Aliens]kronenbourg » Thu May 05, 2011 10:35 pm

Just ticked the box, put it to 53% (as a test) and I can actually hear the fan.

The fan speed I adjust at the back is for the CPU, not the card.

I take it that's a main problem I had. I can hear it moving now. Temperature is now 46°C!!!!

I'll put the side of the case back on, and will test this out fully tomorrow night.

I'll have a look at the case to buy this weekend, but is it easy to move the motherboard over? I'm okay with putting stuff back in, as I can make notes on each lead etc :wink:

I may also buy a new harddrive, and partion it with XP and Windows 7, but will look at the XP install first, as I can add a partition later on (just want this back to normal, so to speak)

[Aliens]kronenbourg
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby WOOKIE1974 » Fri May 06, 2011 10:34 am

i will say if youre using a duel core cpu stick to xp, in game with my opteron, 4gb of ram and a decent g/card i was still getting a ping of 140- 170 (on uk servers) using win7 ultimate, as soon as i got a quad core and 4gb of ram it dropped to 80, win 7 will hammer your cpu with bc2 running even with a 6900 your graphics will be low to medium to compensate for the cpu usage.

yeah you wont get the dx11 style graphics but at least you wont be lagging like a fat kid in a race for the big mac lol.

that case i showed you is all screw free and all your power cables run up the back of the pc so its out of the way and easy enough to move the mobo over

WOOKIE1974
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Postby [Aliens]kronenbourg » Fri May 06, 2011 12:18 pm

Thanks for looking at this Wookie :D

I assume when I'm going online to play games, I pop the speed of the fan up, for the graphics I mean.

Also, if you could build a computer similar to what you said last on TeamSpeak (not sure about the hardware, as I'm not 'up' on that side), but if I supplied the video card, and then my XP along with possibly Win 7, how much would it cost?

The reason, is that looking at the above comes to ~£170, just to upgrade those parts (included a drive in the cost).

[Aliens]kronenbourg
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby [Aliens]kronenbourg » Fri May 06, 2011 2:35 pm

Now I know why I mentioned Windows 7...the new BF3 is only going to be playable on Vista or Win 7.

[Aliens]kronenbourg
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Next

Return to Tech-support