Windows Processes

Having software/hardware problems? Get help here!

Windows Processes

Postby [Aliens]kronenbourg » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:47 pm

Hiya

As many of you know, if you look at the Task Manager you will see plenty of processes running, and wonder if any are needed. Some are needed by Windows or your antivirus/firewall programs, but some can be disabled. Doing so will gain some lost RAM, which is all good.

To access the area for this, go to Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services. In there is the full list of all processes set up on your pc. Each person's list may be different, depending on which programs you have, and the hardware you have connected.

This is a list I use when setting up my pc's. Depending if you have XP Home or Pro, you will see some extra things that aren't on your list.

To change the Status of each service, rightclick on one and choose Properties. In there you will see a dropdown menu called Status. Change it, apply and OK.

For anything that you change in Windows, note down what the settings are before you change them. That way, if you find that WMP doesn't work anymore, for instance, you can re-enable the process related to it again.

So, here goes...........

Clipbook - Used to store information (cut / paste) and share it with other computers.

Change to Disable - gain 1.3MB
-------------------
Computer Browser - maintains a listing of computers and resources located on the network. This service is not required on a standalone system. In fact, even if you want to browse the network (workgroup or domain) or have mapped network shares as local hard drives, you can still do so.

Disable
--------------------
Distributed Link Tracking Client - Maintains links with NTFS files within your computer or across a domain. Useful on a large network, but not really needed on a home network.

Manual -gain 3.5MB
--------------------
Error Reporting - Calls home to Microsoft when application errors occur. Waste of time. On the other hand, if you are experiencing system crashes often, the best way to deal with them is to report them using this tool.

Disable
-----------------------
Fax - Not installed by default, but if needed, you may install it later off the Windows XP CD. Maintains the ability to send and receive FAX documents on your computer.

Disable
---------------------
Help and Support - This service is required for Microsoft's online (or offline) help documents.

Manual
---------------------
Indexing Service - This service always has been a major resource hog. It uses about 500 K to 2 MB in an idle state, not to mention the amount of memory and CPU resources it takes to INDEX the drives. I have had people (and witnessed it on other people's computers) report to me that the Indexing Service sometimes starts up EVEN while the system is NOT idle... as in the middle of a game.

Disable
----------------------
Messenger - Not your MSN messenger we use to talk to others, but it provides the ability to send messages between clients and servers. However, especially if you use Windows 2000, when logged onto the internet, you end up with all sorts of malware.

Disable
-----------------------
Net Logon - Used for logging onto a Domain Controller. This service is not required on a standalone system, or for a "home" network.

Disable
------------------------
NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing - Enables a user to access your computer using NetMeeting. This may create a big open door for the unwanted. If you are paranoid about security, disable this function.

Disable
------------------------
Network DDE - Unless you use remote ClipBook, disable it. This uses about 1.5 MB idle.

Disable
-----------------------
Network DDE DSDM - Unless you use remote ClipBook, disable it.

Disable
----------------------
Network Location Awareness - Before the installation of Service Pack 2, this service was required for use with the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing service (server only). After the installation of Service Pack 2, it no longer is required.

Disable
--------------------
Network Provisioning Service - This service is used in conjunction with a domain controller and XML configuration files. Home networks does not require this service

Disable
--------------------
Performance Logs and Alerts - Collect performance data on a schedule and send the information to a log or trigger an alert.

Disable
--------------------
Portable Media Serial Number Service - Retrieves serial numbers from portable music players connected to your computer. Disable it unless something of yours ceases to function properly, such as Windows Media Player, Microsoft's integration with "Digital Rights Management" and copy protection.

Disable
---------------------
Print Spooler - Queues up print jobs for later printing. This service is required if you have printers, even if they are network printers. If no printer, disable it. But if you get a printer, you will ahve to change it back.

If printer, Automatic
No printer, Disable - gain 3.8MB
--------------------
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager - Manages and controls Remote Assistance. If you do not want or need to use this feature, disable it. In an idle state, this service sucks up 3.4 MB to 4 MB of RAM.

Disable
-----------------------
Remote Registry - This feature is not available on XP Home. If you are paranoid about security, disable this service. Even if you are not or do not care, disable it anyway.

Disable
-----------------------
Security Center - This service monitors the status of Automatic Updates, Windows Firewall and virus protection software. If you do not want the Security Center to monitor these functions for you, disabling this service is not enough. After rebooting the system, this service will again be placed into automatic and started. While the service is in the started state, go to Control Panel | Security Center and select the link on the left hand side labeled "Change the way Security Center alerts me." In the resulting dialog box, uncheck Firewall, Automatic Update and Virus Protection. After that step is complete, you may place the Security Center service in disabled and it will not start again or continue to be displayed in the system tray after a reboot.

Disable
-------------------------
Server - Used for file and print sharing from your computer or Message Queuing. For security purposes, you may disable this service if you do not require local printers and files shared across your network. Connectivity, however, still exists even on incoming shared network drives.

Disable
--------------------------
Smart Card - Supports the use of a Smart Card for local or network computer authentication. If you do not have a "Smart Card," or you do not know what a Smart Card is, you do not need this service running. Save the 2.2 MB to 2.4 MB of RAM this service uses.

Disable
----------------------------
Task Scheduler - You use this service to schedule maintenance, Microsoft Backup sessions, or maybe even Auto Update. I do all mine manually.

If you use it, change to Automatic
If you don't, change to Disable
----------------------------
Telnet - This service is not available on Windows XP Home. It allows remote login to the local computer via the telnet function. For security reasons, disable this unless you specifically require its functionality. You will save about 2 MB of RAM by plugging this security hole.

Disable
------------------------------
Uninterruptible Power Supply - if you use one via USB, this doesn't need to run. If its a serial port, it may need it.

USB, Disable
Serial, Manual
-----------------------------
Wireless Zero Configuration - Provides automatic configuration for wireless network devices and connection quality feedback. If you do not have any wireless network devices in use on the local system, disable this service. You may require this service for connectivity with some "hot sync" software for a PDA, laptop or other portable computer.

Disable
---------------------------
WMI Performance Adapter - Not found a real use for this. Save the 2.5 MB to 6 MB of memory, this service consumes.

Disable

[Aliens]kronenbourg
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby [Aliens]kronenbourg » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:51 pm

If you have any questions related to some processes that aren't on here, or you're curious, I'll take a look for you 8)

[Aliens]kronenbourg
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby [Aliens]WITTY » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:04 pm

Well i've done all those things Krou

If i am not on for a few days it's your fault....lol

Nice one mate
[Aliens]WITTY
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Spadess » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:14 pm

Thanks a bigun mate :o :D :D :D
Spadess
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby [Aliens]kronenbourg » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:31 pm

As I say, if you remember what they were before you do the above, in case something fails to work, or you need a printer to install for example, you can change it back again.

One tip I will say if you are ever using Windows 2000: When you've installed it, and before you install your network drivers, disable Messenger.

When I didn't, I installed 2000, logged on the web, and just went to the Window Update. Installed my virus scanner, and it had multiple trojans, so had to reformat again :x

[Aliens]kronenbourg
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby [Aliens]solifer » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:44 pm

Tanx cloesd almost 10 services!

But can i disable this
Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
Camaro - If you don´t own one, you´ll never understand!
<<-Bönder är liksom en egen ras, precis som rörmokare och föräldrar->>
[Aliens]solifer
General
General

Postby [Aliens]kronenbourg » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:11 pm

Hi Solifer

Its used to allow multiple computers on your network to access the internet via only one account, and also contains the software firewall. If you are using a third party firewall, hardware gateway/router or Internet Connection Sharing software package, this service is not required.

Asked someone to confirm disabling it, and its set to Auto by default. I'll disable it tonight, and see how it goes. Let you know soon 8)

[Aliens]kronenbourg
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby [Aliens]solifer » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:43 pm

tanx!
Camaro - If you don´t own one, you´ll never understand!
<<-Bönder är liksom en egen ras, precis som rörmokare och föräldrar->>
[Aliens]solifer
General
General

Postby =1PARA=Assassin » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:02 am

Ping to our Swedish servers sorted... Nice one Kro... 8) 8) 8)
=1PARA=Assassin
Colonel
Colonel

Postby [Aliens]kronenbourg » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:13 am

If you turn off the ICS as mentioned in the last few posts, make sure you restart your pc. The reason, as compared to the other services, is this relies on your internet connection. Rebooting stops it from running.

Wonder if one of the Swedish companies is using a different port for overseas lately :?:

[Aliens]kronenbourg
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby xxiv » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:54 am

superb kronenburg
di that test that soli put up and my ping was reduced to around the 50 mark.
may even try out our server later
xxiv
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Postby [Aliens]kronenbourg » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:26 pm

[Aliens]kronenbourg
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby mike0nl » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:27 pm

nice 1 again m8 :obey:
mike0nl
Gunnery Sergeant