Internet connection speed

Having software/hardware problems? Get help here!

Internet connection speed

Postby Aliens Wrig » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:04 pm

Need your advice here lads.

Recently upgraded to 8meg speed via Orange (always used them). To get near the 8 meg speed I had to ditch my modem (as that would only allow maximum 4 meg speed) and buy a (quality) wired router and ethernet cable.

My problem: - I have run speed tests recently via Speedtest.net and another test that Orange provide and during early evenings (6pm til 8pm) - last night being a prime example - my download speed was a mere 300kbps. Absolute shite to say the least. Tried going into bf2 after running the test and my hit detection was almost nil!!!

Tried running the test this morning and the was about 6.5 meg for download and 400 kbps for upload. Went into bf and happy days - frag city. :lol: :lol:

I accept that the 300 kbps was somewhat exceptional last last but I have run these tests since installing the router and quite often don't get speed beyond 1 meg at peak times. Obviously I appreciate some of the bandwidth may be hogged by high user input but surely I should be getting much better than this!

I'm thinking of reverting to my modem and rj11 cable to see if I get a reliable 4 meg (as Fusion does with same ISP) but would welcome any thoughts on things I could be doing to improve it.

By the way, I have a top class security product that doesn't hog the pc, regularly run ad-aware and spybot and have no malware or trojans in the system.

Over to you guys but please bear in mind I'm not overly technical so any responses in laymans terms please. Much appreciated :wink:
Aliens Wrig
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby =1PARA=Assassin » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:53 pm

6PM-8PM Uk time is ALWAYS a bad time for download speeds. Everyone is home from work/ school and downloading everything at that time. Don't worry too much about that mate.
I have 8MB internet, my upload is usually around 40kbps, downloading, depending on time of day, anything from 4-7MB,
Remember, Broadband isn't a "does what it says on the tin" rpoduct. When they say UP TO, they mean it can vary from 1MB to 8MB,m no guarantees.

Hope that explains a bit for you mate. 8)
=1PARA=Assassin
Colonel
Colonel

Postby [Aliens]solifer » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:55 pm

If you pay for 8 mbits you should not be satisfied with 6,5!
i had 8/1 mbits and it gave me almost 8mbit home and upload was around 850 kbit!
Camaro - If you don´t own one, you´ll never understand!
<<-Bönder är liksom en egen ras, precis som rörmokare och föräldrar->>
[Aliens]solifer
General
General

Postby =1PARA=Assassin » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:57 pm

Yeah, but this is the UK and they don't care.... :(
=1PARA=Assassin
Colonel
Colonel

Postby [uf] Budball » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:59 pm

Been having the same problems with Pipex so your not on your own. I've been having the problem between 6pm and 12pm. Hence no BF2 /2142 for me.

Done a lot of investigation. I have rewired my BT socket, Spent well over £100 on new network equipment and done a fresh install on my laptop. I got pipex to get BT to check every thing from the exchange to me. It was all fine.
I then done some network and packet loss investigation.

In the end there are 4 thing I have found

1. 8 meg max will drop for no reason and reset about 30seconds later. BT's fault. Not often, but enough to be a pain (expect in scotts case where its every 15min) .

2. Pipex was loosing lots of packets in their data center. This points to them not having enough bandwidth to the rest of the internet or have me on a secret high user nerfing system.

3. Pipex put in a P2P blocking system. So thats why my sky film's and game updates were 20k. I don't use it often but it's nice to know. (got round it).

4. The B$%^$ds signed me up to a 12 month contract last Aug when I upgraded. Can not change for 7 months.

Thats the long answer. The short answer is Orange have too many users for the bandwidth they have.
[uf] Budball
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Postby [uf] Budball » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:01 pm

Assassin Wrig and me have been down to 0.3meg
[uf] Budball
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Postby xxiv » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:01 pm

true
with BT and when i first upgraded i had 56k for a few nights.
phoned to complain and the cheeky buggers actually said to me well it is up to 8m.......
started to sort it out fast when i exploded down the phone.
xxiv
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Postby Aliens Wrig » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:08 pm

Is it related or just coincidence that my in game hit detection is very poor when my corresponding download performance is low? Jokes aside - yeah I know I can't aim for shit - I'm fairly confident my cross hair is all over these guys most of the time. :(
Aliens Wrig
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby [uf] Budball » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:43 pm

Prob related. The packet loss is that bad a good head shot can reg as not being fired. you will notice slight choppyness in people's movement ect. as it has to keep catching up.

Think it boils down to how the bandwidth is allocated. Under the old system you had 40 meg shared between 500 users. So you would get a bad night once in a while. Now it looks like they are sharing 400 meg between 5000 users. With average users doing much larger downloads (youtube) Your getting your max 80% time but not when you want it.

If you can change your provider. Bet you don't always get a web site loading with first click either?
[uf] Budball
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Postby xxiv » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:45 pm

also might be your eyes
better go to geeksavers
xxiv
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Postby [Aliens]Guan-di » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:02 pm

Originally had the same probs as everyone else with ntl, got a new cable modem and fingers crossed, touch wood and all that and its working so much better for me.
[Aliens]Guan-di
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Postby [Aliens]Warriorjock » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:50 pm

WHO DARES WINS
[Aliens]Warriorjock
Captain
Captain

Return to Tech-support