vital windows update

Having software/hardware problems? Get help here!

vital windows update

Postby [Aliens]kronenbourg » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:00 am

Due to exploits & worms have already been released, so updates to all systems are vital

Attacks are no longer targeted but random & potentially widespread

This one has the same potential to do damage as Blaster did

Its a baddie, trust me.

Urgent Critical windows update warning

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=958644

This is a critical out of band update to all current versions of windows and it is very strongly recommended that ALL users apply it URGENTLY

Today Microsoft released a security update that fixes a remote code execution vulnerability in the Windows Server Service. This is a serious vulnerability and we have seen targeted attacks using this vulnerability to compromise fully-patched Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 computers so we have released the fix "out of band" (not on the regular Patch Tuesday).

The easiest and safest way to apply the patch is to visit windows update where the correct patch for your version will be applied

so far attacks have been seen & exploited on XP & W2003. It can & does affect all currently supported versions of windows including Vista & W2008 BUT default out of the box configurations of vista & 2008 should block it. that doesn't apply to systems that have been tweaked and firewall turned off or a 3rd party firewall applied that might not block RPC as well as it should do

I do not know whether 98/ME are affected but I see no reason to suppose they are not and the fall out from those will likely be worse

It definitely does affect W2000

98 & ME are no longer supported

Kro
Last edited by [Aliens]kronenbourg on Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Aliens]kronenbourg
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby [Aliens]kronenbourg » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:11 pm

To verify you have the update, if you use Windows Update automatically, do the following:

Go to Start | Run and type

REGEDIT

And click OK.

On the left will be some folders, and you navigate the same way as Windows Explorer, opening folders on the left using the +.

So, look for these folders:

Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Windows XP Service Pack 3:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP4\KB958644\Filelist

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Service Pack 2:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP Version 2003\SP3\KB958644\Filelist

Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows 2000\SP5\KB958644\Filelist

Windows Server 2003 - All versions

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows Server 2003\SP3\KB958644\Filelist

Windows Vista (all editions)

Windows Server 2008 (all editions)

Note A registry key does not exist to validate the presence of this update.

Also, check in AddRemove via the Control Panel, and remember to tick the box to show all updates

If you're at all unsure, either PM or speak to me on TS :)

[Aliens]kronenbourg
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby [Aliens]Nickelin » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:47 pm

I have it :D :D

IT´S BETTER TO BURNOUT THEN FADE AWAY
[Aliens]Nickelin
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Return to Tech-support