Need help with Halflife 2 + Episode 1

Having software/hardware problems? Get help here!

Need help with Halflife 2 + Episode 1

Postby Tarian666 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:30 pm

Hi guys I need help, fancied a game of HL2 the other day so reinstalled it (got the Orange Box) all installed fine, updated everything with Steam, went to play hl2 loads fine, when you select new game it starts to load then you get the hl2 splash screen then about 5 seconds after that it dumps me back to the desktop, with the message "HL2.exe Stopped Working" have checked online and seem to be a problem since the last major steam update, there are loads of posts about this have tried most of the so called fixes but nothing works, hls episode 1 will play for about 10mins before crashing to desktop with the same message, any ideas?

My rig is :-

Intel Q6600 @2.4 (not clocked)
BFGTech 8800GTS 320mb
500gb HDD
4gb ram
Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit

Cheers guys any help much appreciated

Dragon_Fragger
Tarian666
Private
Private

Postby [Aliens]solifer » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:52 pm

Dont have the game though, but are you having right resolution, had similar problems in other games as for the first problem you had those games got to splash scene then after game started it got to the other resolution and game crashed, having other probs with other games in case of heating problems, and have you update drivers??
Camaro - If you don´t own one, you´ll never understand!
<<-Bönder är liksom en egen ras, precis som rörmokare och föräldrar->>
[Aliens]solifer
General
General

Postby [Aliens]heCKLes » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:53 pm

I have it (the Orange box) but haven't played in a while and I haven't got it installed either right now.. But it sounds strange that it would crash after a update, but one never knows..

Have you tried updating your graphics- and sound-drivers?

Sound drivers have made this happen for me in other games so if you have any special setting there try and tune it down..
Also, you can try and pull down the DirectX acceleration in the DxDiag Control-panel..

Good luck..!
[Aliens]heCKLes
Major
Major

Re: Need help with Halflife 2 + Episode 1

Postby panzer911 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:06 pm

i see you have the dreaded windows vista,its a real pain thats why Ive gone back to xp. these patches seem too cause more trouble than cures
just check to see if your fire wall has got half life ticked in the exceptions
by the way ive got the orange box its good value for money.
panzer911
Lance Corpral
Lance Corpral

Re: Need help with Halflife 2 + Episode 1

Postby panzer911 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:12 pm

just check windows compatability (xp) ,see if that works,if you have windows 7 ultimate it will not work properly it will just keep crashing :|
panzer911
Lance Corpral
Lance Corpral

Return to Tech-support